Thursday, May 7, 2015

DIY Farmhouse Kitchen Sign

 
 
 
Pin It
  
Recently, between all the DIY projects, I took some down time to sign up for a local craft class I found through a Facebook group page.


We have a KC Pinterest Addicts page that gets a lot of traffic with buying and selling home wares and crafters offering craft classes as well, so I took some time out of my busy schedule and decided I needed a girls night out crafting.


We made a farmhouse sign using vinyl from a local vinyl shop and I am so happy with how this turned out.

I have a Cricut machine and have used it to make vinyl stuff like this family plate, or Halloween plate, but I have never used vinyl as a stencil.


So follow along with me as I show you how to make a farmhouse sign.


First you take a board and stain it then use a chip brush to brush on some creamy white paint.

 



 
Here we are starting to paint our boards.
 
The group on the left is making one kind of sing and my group on the right is making the farm house sign. I used creamy white paint for mine but one lady used a red color and one used a beige color so this part is up to you and what matches your décor.






 
Then take your vinyl cut out and just position it over the board and cut off the excess to make it easier to work with.

Then rub it with our hand or a credit card to get the air bubbles out.

Then score the transfer paper down the middle so you have two sections.

Peel off one section and attach it to your board the peel of the second section so that the entire piece is now facing down on your board.


 

 
 
Then begin peeling the top part off in small/medium sized pieces and pull at an angle to prevent the vinyl from lifting.







Once the vinyl is attached to the board and the top part is pulled off it will look like this:





You now basically have a "stencil" that is attached to your board.

Rub out any air pockets then use a foam brush and dab black paint onto the exposed wording areas.








Here I am almost done:








And here it is with all the black paint dabbed on:






Now for the fun part!!!!!


Pull off your vinyl to reveal the black painted/stenciled lettering.




 
Use your exacto knife to lift up those hard to get pieces.....



 
 
then lightly rough up the edges with sand paper.
 


 
Now ooh and aahh at the lovely farm house sign you just created!
 

 
 
 
 
Here's the entire group with their finished sign:
 
 
 
 
And here she is hanging on my wall in my kitchen.
 
 
 

Pin It 
 
 
So if you have been wondering "how do you do that"?
Well, now you know.
 
By using the vinyl as a stencil, you can get as creative as you want and make any sign.
 
The possibilities are endless!
 
 
 
Have a wonderful weekend,
 
 
Jennifer







The Shabby NestPhotobucket Rustic and Refined
Marvelous Monday Linky PartyThe Chicken ChickConfessions of a Plate Addict

Photobucketthursday favorite things hostesses final 2015Join MeH&GT BUTTON FALL
 

The Bajan TexanThe Dedicated HouseThe Dedicated House

Savvy Southern StyleGet Your DIY On

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated! I enjoy receiving your feedback.